Thursday, March 10, 2011

Getting Refocused

OK, now I am over the flu and this is the first week that I have been able to really get back into the groove of things. It's always something.

This week on Tuesday and Thursday, I focused on upper body weight/strength and core & lower back. I decided to focus more on core because this is my trouble spot. These are also the days that I run in the afternoon.

When I ran on Tuesday, I found my body comfortable with the pace. Near the end, I slowed a little. My lower back was tightening up a bit and so I stopped to stretch it out. But when I'm running since I started this journey (before my flu infection) I felt my abdominals in a different way. My core was positioned in more of a support role, helping to my destination and not necessarily something that I use to feel was holding me back. It didn't feel like it something I had to push through to complete and to me, that is change. And when I was in the shower last night, I could see the definition in my arms, specifically, my biceps. It was a sight to see.

So it is where I see the little changes that I focus. It's not the number on the scale (which I still kind of watch - but hate that I do). It's the good, healthy fatigue that I feel in my body. I focus on how I feel in an outfit when I look in the mirror. I focus on the self-talk that I have when I feel that I haven't achieved what I believe enough and if I hear anything negative, I refocus on the positive things that I just identified not even two minutes earlier.

Evaluating myself is very important to success. Being honest, fair and objective is the only way to get what I want. It's what keeps me moving forward.

Another thing I have focused on is saying good-bye to the past. I've always had a pretty healthy sense of self and we all have our stories to tell. So as I said good-bye to those things that I just no longer afford to hold onto, I started a ritual of saying good-bye to my body.

I rub my core/waistline/hips and say good-bye. I will not miss you. I rub my triceps and say no more flapping in the wind.  I am certain you kind of get where I am going with this. So I say good-bye to all the negatives things I don't like about my body and tell myself I am changing, embracing the new, stronger, healthier me. Crazy, I know. But the connection with how one thinks and feels, whether good or bad, only allows those things to stay around for a very long time, whether good or bad.

And I realize now, that if I truly want to embrace healthy change (professional or physical), I have to say good-bye to the connection of what was once thought of as bad in my self-talk and my self-image.

1 comment:

  1. You go girl. I am in your court with you on this. Being 50 doesn't mean going down hill. I am proof of that. I feel the best I have ever felt in my life at 56 physically, mentally and spiritually. Say hello to the New You. Live with passion and gratitude, on the edge of your comfort zone.
    You can transform all your possibilities into realities. Create the life you were meant to live. Live your heart's desire.


    Feeling Fabulous at Fifty

    ReplyDelete